Friday 15 July 2011

Praying for my Parish Priest.

Lately I have been hearing some wonderful stories about the intercession of the saints.
One recent example is the story of baby James Fulton, on whose behalf parents and friends ( including long distance blog friends such as myself) sought the intercession of Archbishop Fulton Sheen.


Now my Parish Priest, Fr Alan has cancer. In two places. He is currently undergoing chemotherapy.


In a recent letter to the parish  he said:
Now of course I have to practise what I preach! Yes, God speaks through events. So I hope I am hearing well everything he is saying to me through this unexpected illness.
And how often have I spoken about the cross!; saying that when it appears in our life, we should, like the crucified Christ, continue to call God Abba , Father. Now I hope this word will be fulfilled in me.
Early in 1999, when our former Archbishop, Cardinal Hume, was diagnosed with inoperable cancer, Pope John-Paul II wrote to tell him of his prayer and support. He told the Cardinal that his illness had been allowed by the Lord in his ‘ALL-SEEING PROVIDENCE’.
It is with trust in this ‘all-seeing providence’ that I want to live these days and face the future.
I really hesitated to write this about myself, knowing that some of you know more about suffering, pain and illness than I do. But still, I wanted to share it with you.

You can read the whole thing  here. 

His illness is a blow to the entire parish, where he is his greatly loved and his  absence is being very keenly felt.
Encouraged however, by stories like that of baby James Fulton, I am
 praying for complete healing for Fr Alan, and asking specifically for the intercession of Blessed John Paul II.
Please would you consider printing out this short prayer and saying it devoutly for this intention?
And also it would be great if you would send it on to others,
I am hoping that we can storm heaven together for Fr Alan.
Please pass it on!


O Holy Trinity,
we thank you for having given to the Church
Pope John Paul II,
and for having made him shine with your fatherly tenderness,
the glory of the Cross of Christ and the splendor of the Spirit of love

He, trusting completely in your infinite mercy
and in the maternal intercession of Mary, has shown himself
in the likeness of Jesus the Good Shepherd
and has pointed out to us holiness
as the path to reach eternal communion with You.

Grant us, through his intercession,
according to your will, the grace that we implore:
Fr Alan's complete healing and a full return to health
in the hope that he will soon be numbered among your saints.
Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Will certainly pray for Fr Alan. I've Tweeted a link to your post too asking others to pray. (One of the advantages of Twitter:-) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers offered to St Peregrine for intercession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are joining in the storming. xx Paola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! gah! gah!!
    Blogging, bloggery blogger and it's blogging awful comment moderation!
    Sorry peeps. I saw your comments in my email but couldn't sign in to approve them.
    Anyway, all better now.
    Thanks for the prayers. Much appreciated.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Changing The World: One Diaper At A Time.

The most important person on earth is a mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has buil...